Wan Saiful Wan Jan joined Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) on 1 March 2018 and was elected Deputy Chairman of the party’s Strategy and Policy Bureau.
Prior to joining PPBM, Wan Saiful was the Chief Executive Officer and Co-Founder of the Institute for Democracy and Economic Affairs (IDEAS). Under his leadership, IDEAS grew into a think-tank that is now recognised as one of the best policy research centres in Asia. Wan Saiful’s prior positions also include:
- Honorary Advisor to the Malaysia-China Chamber of Commerce (MCCC)
- Board Member of the International Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Malaysia
- Chairman of the Istanbul Network for Liberty (2014-2018), an international research network on the development of democracy in Islamic countries
- Senior Visiting Fellow at ISEAS - Yusuf Ishak Institute, Singapore
- Researcher at Commonwealth Policy Studies Unit, London
- Researcher at Conservative Party Research Department, London
- Member of the Advisory Committee, Laureate International Universities, owner of INTI International University and Colleges
- Working Group Member at the Razak School of Government, Putrajaya
- Board Member of Rafflesia Private School Management
- Lecturer at UCSI University Malaysia
- Member of the Advisory Committee at School of Politics, History and International Relations, Nottingham University
- Director of CfBT Education Malaysia
Wan Saiful is regularly invited to present his views to local and foreign media. He was a regular columnist in The Star (2012-2018) and Sin Chew Daily (2016-2018), and he is often sought by the BBC, Reuters, Bloomberg, Al-Jazeera and The Economist.
Most notably, Wan Saiful's expertise in policymaking was acknowledged in August 2015 when he was appointed as a Member of the National Consultative Committee on Political Financing (JKNMPP), formed by the Prime Minister, to suggest areas for reform.
Wan Saiful is also active in community activities to help the needy in urban areas. In 2014, he set up IDEAS Academy, a secondary education centre for underprivileged children in Kuala Lumpur. Prior to IDEAS Academy, he set up Taska Autism IDEAS, an education and welfare centre for special children from low-income families in Selangor.
Wan Saiful’s contributions to the community was recognised on 14 January 2015, when he was the sole recipient of the Darjah Tuanku Muhriz (DTM) in conjunction with the 67th anniversary of Negeri Sembilan's Tuanku Muhriz ibni Almarhum Tuanku Munawir.